Sri Lanka vs England, 2nd Test
All the major stats and numbers that were recorded during the second Test match in Pallekele:
1. This is the first time when England won the Test, ODI and T20I series on an away tour. They won the ODI series 3-1 and the one-off T20I game before the Test series.
2. Jack Leach is only the 2nd England spinner to claim a five-wicket haul while opening the bowling in the last 40 years. Monty Panesar took 6/81 in India's second innings during the 2012 Mumbai Test.
3. Only the 3rd time England won a Test match without a pacer taking a wicket. They defeated India in the 1952 Kanpur Test and Australia in the 1956 Manchester Test despite pacers going wicketless.
4. None of Joe Root’s 15 Test centuries been in a losing cause. Root’s 11 centuries resulted in England’s wins while other four coming in draws. His 120-ball century in the second innings is the fastest known Test century by an England captain
5. 38 Number of wickets bagged by the spinners in this Test; the most in a single Test match. The previous most was 37 wickets in the 1969 Nagpur Test between India and New Zealand.
6. Jack Leach is only the 2nd England player in the last 60 years to open the bowling and batting in the same Test match. Graham Gooch achieved this double during the 1987 Faisalabad Test against Pakistan.
7. This is England's first away series victory since beating South Africa in 2015-16
8. First away series victory in Asia since beating India in 2012-13
9. First series win in Sri Lanka since beating them in 2001
10. First Test defeat as captain for Sri Lanka's Suranga Lakmal
11. First away Test series win for Joe Root as England's captain
Sri Lanka 336, 243-all out (74.0 Ovs)
England 346 & 290